Monday, February 3, 2014

First email from West Valley City - Out in the field now!

Talofa lou aiga (Hello my family! It's Samoan! you'll see why soon haha)
I am here in West Valley City!
My first week has been good. I have been kind of home sick and MTC sick. I miss my District a lot. It was sad saying bye to them. But, we are all close except two of our elders who sadly went to SLC South, but we can email them so that's been nice! Me and my MTC companion Sister Seaman are in the same zone :) so every P day we get to see each other cause our zone goes to a church and plays games! haha so that will be super nice and I'm so grateful for that. I have missed her so much!! We only have one Walmart in our area haha so we run into each other on p days when we are shopping!
My new companion's name is sister Maiava ( My ava) She is straight from Samoa! It's her first time in America and she has been out for 8 months! We found out we have the same birthday, but she is one year older than me! She is funny. We get along well. She says Oh my hannah all the time after I say oh my lanta and its funny the way she says it haha. We live with two other sister missionaries (one is from my zone from the MTC :) Their names are Sister Moore and Sister Howard. And we live with a member named Sister XXX. She is so sweet and has a precious dog named Bailey!
So Sister Maiava and I cover three wards: the 3rd ward, 6th ward, and the 11th ward. We are in Church 9 AM- 4 PM. Its a long day, but guess what. The 11th ward is a Samoan ward...all they speak is Samoan and Sister Maiava is from Samoa so she understands and I'm trying to learn the language! haha. It's been very interesting.
We get fed A LOT to say the least. I am praying I don't get fat because they really feed us! Nice humble people though!! Guess how many people were in the Samoan ward... 269! That is so much!! And that is the only ward we go to all of the meetings! (The 3rd and 6th ward we only go to sacrament meeting.) Luckily in Relief Society they split up into Samoan and English. It's kinda hard not knowing what anyone is saying all of Sacrament and Sunday School.
Tomorrow me and Sister Maiava are taking a reactivated family to Temple Square! That will be fun!
Mom, we exercise for 30 mins in the morning, and I have no idea what to do. Can you like send me an exercise something haha! Idk, I need help!! I'm gonna get fat if I don't exercise hard in the morning haha.
We already have 3 baptisms this month and one on March 1!
I looove teaching the kids here. We teach a lot of younger kids. Their families are inactive and they sit in with our lessons, but it's precious. The kids are so cute! Seriously almost every one we teach is Samoan, Tongan, Mexican or from the Martial Islands. It's really neat. they are beautiful people! haha. but, anyways the one little girl we teach tells me every time she sees me that I am pretty! haha Its so cute and then there is this family I love so much! She has 3 girls. One just went to the MTC Wed and is going to New Mexico, but they are so sweet. I love them. Her little girl loves the sister missionaries, and she made me two bracelets! haha That's been fun.
The one hard thing about being here is there are so many Polynesian people and I can't say ANYONE'S names. haha its awful! but I guess kind of funny.
We have taught a lot of lessons...I'm still trying to get a hang of teaching and going by the spirit and working with a companion. This is real life now, so its a little bit different. We teach all day every day. If we don't have an appointment, we have referrals. There are a TON of inactives here...a lot of this mission is reactivating, I think. For the most part people have been very kind. I haven't really met anyone mean yet, but we have had some awkward experiences. The one night sister Maiava and I went to a referral and a Tongan boy answered the door and we weren't sure how to say the last name. haha Anyways, Sister Maiava asked if his wife was there...and he said 'um I'm like 14'...lol It was hilarious! So now, that's our joke. We are always like 'Sister I'm only 14'. haha. But all the Tongans look older! It's funny. but teaching has been good so far. We walk everywhereeeeee. It's so cold-especially last night was absolutely freezing. I had to put hand warmers in my pockets and boots it was so stinking cold. We don't get as many rides as I thought we would haha.
I've met a lot of members as well! They are pretty good. The 3rd and 6th Ward were kind of small to my surprise...the 3rd ward looked smaller than our Ward back home! I bore my testimony in the 3rd ward! I'm still trying to adjust and get to know everybody. The culture out here is so different. I guess I didn't realize all the ethnicity out here! But there are hardly any white people it seems. I've gone to a lot of lessons with Sister Maiava and a member from the Samoan ward and we teach Samoans and the whole lesson is in Samoan, so that's kind of hard, but what can you do. There has to be a reason I'm here. Though I can't see it yet, I'm sure there is. We have three lessons tonight after P day! So hopefully those go good.
No bike yet! Thank heavens. I don't wanna ride a bike lol!
My mission president and his wife are very sweet. They mean business though, but it's all good! I got my little ipad mini. It's awesome. Everything including our area book is on it!
All is well. I do miss everyone and am feeling a bit homesick, but I am trying hard to not think about it and just keep moving forward. Lots of things remind me of home and all of you, but then I try to remember that I can bless other families so they can be together for eternity like we are already blessed to have!

Alofa ia te oe ( I love you)
i love you all for eternity! and pray for you always to have angels surrounding you to protect you, guide you and keep you safe.
Share the gospel this week! we are so lucky to have it in our lives!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Sister Knight <3

1 comment:

  1. Sister Knight (Sarah), Can we call you Sarah? ha ha Your Mom was so emotional teaching RS Sunday...I know her thoughts are on you. What a great Mom you have!! We love her so much but we love your whole family so no surprise there..ha ha We pray for your success. Our son-in-law served with some Samoan Elders and he said how much he loved them. I know you will do well. You have such a sweet spirit. Those you teach will certainly feel it. I look forward to reading your blog. Take care...don't worry we will care for your family while you are away. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete